We spend a lot of time working. In addition, how we behave in our work life often and very much influences our self-concept. Therefore, in this article, we want to talk about the main factors that affect the well-being of employees.
Companies today have ways of measuring the productivity of their employees, just like any other factor that can affect it. However, there is one aspect that is not always taken into account: the mental health of its employees. And not just physically, because the biggest challenge for workers is mental health.
a worker with anxiety or depression issues will perform less than expected this will reflect on the productivity of the company sooner or later. It’s surprising, therefore, that so many companies still struggle to invest in the mental health of their employees.
By World Health Organization (WHO)More than 300 million people around the world suffer from depression, and 1 in 4 people will experience some mental health problem in their lifetime. These are data showing a silent pandemic affecting all social and business sectors.
Factors affecting the mental health of employees
The reasons that can cause the mental health of a company’s employees to deteriorate are varied. Beyond every case, these Main factors according to WHO:
- Poor working conditions: An employee’s well-being depends on feeling good conditions for his job. Hours and salary according to responsibilities are the basis for looking after the welfare of the worker, enabling an enriching life outside of work.
- dirty work environment: Where enmity reigns, no one is comfortable. Whether at work, at home or with friends, it’s important to create an environment where everyone feels safe and comfortable.
- bad internal communication: Ineffective communication or lack of support from both managers and colleagues can be a major factor.
- excessive workload: No one is happy when they have to take work home. As with the working conditions section, it is essential that the employee feels that his workload is proportional to the salary he receives each month.
- lack of recognition: just like low decision-making power, lack of recognition the employee is disconnected from the companyof your goals and objectives.
According to NTT DATA data, 87% of employees are dissatisfied with their mental health at work. 44% of them are very concerned about the compromise between work and mental health. On the other hand, another 43% admit they have concerns.
New sensitivities, new departments
Evidence of such data compels companies to create new departments and dynamics that take care of employee mental health like any other entity. Ultimately, it is a factor that will determine the efficiency of the company, so investing in it is essential, even from a practical and mercantilist perspective.
companies like Mapfre or Endesa, provides prevention and psychological support services for its employees. Workshops, group therapies and outside events are some of the dynamics companies are currently implementing.
Some brands do this more indirectly, promoting sports, healthy eating or work-life balance. In this way, the mental well-being of your employees can be alleviated by feeling that the company is more involved in aspects of their lives that are not related to their work.
Some companies conduct surveys that provide data on the mental health of their employees., dreams and fears. a way to get an overview intangible needs of workers the company that needs to be satisfied so that productivity is not harmed.
Measures to protect the mental health of workers
In addition to these studies, modern softwareCompanies can take other measures to protect the mental health of their employees:
- Know the needs of every professional: Knowing about your employees’ concerns is the first step to solving the problem. Without this knowledge it will be difficult to act.
- Invest in education: such measures motivation as well as the employees’ sense of belonging to the company.
- Provide flexibility: Thanks to new technologies, it’s possible to implement remote working days that help your employees release tension and clear their minds after all that time spent at the office.
- Demonstrate leadership by listening, support and trust: An employee who feels that his superiors listen to him and take his ideas into account will feel valued and therefore more comfortable in the company.
- Provide a good working environment: from company dinners to after-hours events, such measures can improve the group relationship between your employees.
- Maintain appropriate internal communication: This will allow employees to become more involved in the company as they will feel they are contributing to the growth of the company.
- rearrange programs: Anything that can make it easier for your employees to reconcile with their family life will have a positive impact on their mental health and therefore the entire company.
Any company invests a portion of its capital in the repair of any material, machinery or installation necessary for its operation. Therefore, it is becoming more and more common to do this with employee mental health. Clearly there is still a long way to go, but The first stones to improve the mental well-being of future workers are already being laid..
It may interest you…
#Mental #health #biggest #challenge #employees